A winner from the Gastrobogans’ Short Order Series, the finger butty comes largely from the cupboard, fridge and freezer and is more than perfect – yes, more than! – for a Friday night throw-together, a weekend lunch or a great big, enormous snack.
- Loaf of fresh, unsliced white bread
- 8 frozen fish fingers
- Kraft Singles Cheddar Slices
- Jar of pickled gherkins
- Jar of bacon pieces
- Crisps, to serve (optional)
- Turn grill to high. Arrange fish fingers on tray and place under the grill.
- Slice 4 thick slabs of bread. Butter 2 of the slices and spread mayonnaise on the others.
- Sprinkle the bacon pieces directly onto the mayonnaise and press in slightly as though they were in there all the time.
- Slice the gherkins into thin slices lengthways, allowing enough to cover the two sandwiches.
- Turn fish fingers over to cook the other side. After a couple of minutes, place a cheese slice over groups of 4 fish fingers, pausing to enjoy the already melting cheese blanket. Continue to grill until the cheese blisters.
- Arrange the fish fingers on the buttered bread. Lay the slices of gherkin across the cheesy blanket. Top with the other slices of bread.
- Slice diagonally in half, serve with a flourish (and crisps) and chomp away.
DOWN THE HATCH
If this gives you the hearty pub lunch feels, reach for a beer. If you live near an Aldi you’re in luck for so many reasons, but partly because you can get a 6-pack of Cape Cyan Natural Blonde for $8.99. While you’re there grab a Precious Earth semillon sauvignon blanc because you can. It’s only $2.69 and it’s … not … too … bad! Huh.